Logo

Evinrude

Gus Greene

Hello I have. 1986 Evinrude Motor 140 Hoarse Power. It start warms up idles in gear but when you put I put throttle to it it stalls. What can I do. It’s peeing.

`As always, the first thing to do is a compression test.----Post the actual values here.----How did it run for you last season?

I never owed it last year. It sounded an alarm. There must be a rest. I just bought this from a dealership used on sale as is I don’t think the motor is pouched. It starts and idils.

Did you install a new water pump impeller ??----Was the alarm a solid tone ?-----Did you verify that oil injection was in service / tested.---Or mixing at 50:1 in the fuel tank?----Sorry----sounds to me that you bought someones trouble.----Do the compression test.---Post the actual values.

It alarmed once for a short time. I hope you are not right. We ran it fine for the first day. If we started it up out of the water with the trim up and prop out of the water and it reved up. Sone as we put it back in the water and throttle up it dies. I’m thinking fuel. How would I know if I am getting oil in the mixture?

It alarmed once for a short time. I hope you are not right. We ran it fine for the first day. If we started it up out of the water with the trim up and prop out of the water and it revved up. Sone as we put it back in the water and throttle up it dies. I’m thinking fuel. How would I know if I am getting oil in the mixture?
Needing to tilt the motor that high just to start the engine definitely sounds like you have a float stuck open and you're flooding the engine. Also, running, and especially revving the engine tilted up like that is very bad. You likely are not getting sufficient water to the impeller (if any at all) and causing damage to your water pump.

Oh it starts fine and idols. It runs in gear. As soon as I give it throttle slowly it revs a bit but as soon as I increase it more it dies. It’s peeing warm but not hot. How would I know if it it the water pump and do you have a link to do this?

Oh it starts fine and idols. It runs in gear. As soon as I give it throttle slowly it revs a bit but as soon as I increase it more it dies. It’s peeing warm but not hot. How would I know if it it the water pump and do you have a link to do this?
Your problem is not your water pump. My concern is running with the lower unit out of the water and revving the engine will ruin the rubber fins on the impeller.

You need to start with basic troubleshooting and move from there. There are tons of videos on Youtube showing you each procedure.

1) Compression test the engine. Racerone already advised you to do this and post results. You should see around 120PSI and all cylinders within 10% of each other. An engine with one or more cylinders low on compression will not run right.

2) Spark. Using an air gap tester make sure each spark plug lead will jump a 7/16" gap while cranking.

3) Fuel. Remove the spark arrestor and observe each carb throat while you squeeze the primer bulb. If you see fuel entering the venturi then it means you have a float needle stuck open and it's allowing the engine to flood. Also, when you give the engine throttle press in the key to engage the fuel primer. If the engine takes off when doing this instead of dying it means you have one or more carbs that are plugged and starving the engine for fuel.

4) Timing. If you have compression, spark, and fuel this engine should run. If you have all these and it still doesn't rev up then you may have a timing issue.

Back